NZCS is proud to once again host the New Zealand Children's Map Competition. The theme for 2016-2017 is: "We Love Maps!"
The objectives of the competition are to:
- Promote children’s creative representation of the world
- Enhance children's cartographic awareness
- Make children more conscious of their environment
Age categories for entries:
- 13-15 years
- 9-12 years
- 6-8 years
- under 6 years
Judging will focus on three criteria:
- a recognizable message
- cartographic content
- quality of execution
- Three winners in each category (1st, 2nd, 3rd)
- Winners will receive sponsor prizes
- Winning entries will be displayed at the National Library in Wellington in conjunction with the Unfolding the Map exhibition
- The school of each 1st place winner will receive a special laminated Land Information New Zealand wall map, custom centred on the school!
- Winning entries in each group will become New Zealand’s entries for the 2017 Barbara Petchenik Children’s Map Competition. This international competition will be judged and exhibited at the ICA International Cartographic Conference in Washington D.C., USA, 2-7 July 2017.
Entry Rules and Information:
Entry deadline: 24 March 2017
Two New Zealand entries (shown below), from students at Tauranga Boys College and Te Kauwhata College, won 1st and 2nd places in the 13-15 years category at the in 2011 and 2013 international competitions. They also won the popular vote from ICA conference delegates!
A gracious thank you to our sponsors who make this competition possible: